Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The finer points of friendship: Know yourself

In my novel, Breaking the Ice, both of the main characters, Sam and Carly, find there are things in their personalities that  profoundly affect their relationships. And not always in good ways.

Isn't it true that your greatest strength can also be your greatest weakness?

But ouch. It actually really hurts to find that out the hard way.

I am currently awake in the wee hours of the morning, smarting from the last 24 hours in which I discovered some parts of my personality that really hurt people. I inadvertently betrayed a confidence at school today. I had a conversation with a leader who pointed out some broken ways in which I relate to people and the potential downfalls of my leadership style. And finally, I received a painful message from a friend, from which I'm still reeling.

So it feels ironic that I'm writing a series on friendship.

However, through a series of mistakes I've made recently, I'm learning that God has grace for my mistakes. More than that, I think He actually wants me to learn to push through my mistakes--even my relationship mistakes--without crashing emotionally.

And I would rather learn more about how I hurt people so I can do something about it. I don't want to go on hurting people.

I think when you get to know all sides of yourself, even when the process is painful, you'll be able to save others some pain.

You can only make improvements in your game if you're honest about where you're starting from. Delusions about yourself only lead to more mediocrity - Carly in Breaking the Ice






No comments:

Post a Comment